April 5, 2012

Adam James appeared in the West End production of Much Ado About Nothing with David last year but they met in 1999 doing another Shakespeare play, King Lear. They played brother Edgar (Tennant) and Edmund (James) in the Royal Manchester production that ran from September 8th and ran through October 23, 1999. They also appeared together in the Doctor Who episode Planet of the Dead James portrayed D.I. McMillan.

I would have given anything to have been a fly on the wall when they first met and started chatting . . .

Adam: So what do you do when you're not acting.
David: I collect Doctor Who DVD's I am a huge fan of teh show it's what made me want to become an actor.
Adam: (laughing) Really - well Jon Pertwee is my godfather!
David speechless makes a friend for life.

The Independent didn't really like the play but clearly these two made a great impression:

"Some good performances stand out from the prevailing dullness. David Tennant is a striking Edgar who impersonates Poor Tom as a possessed, body-thumping Scot in filthy underclothes, and Adam James brings a sardonic, golden-boy cool to the machiavellian machinations of Edmund." - Paul Taylor - September 21 1999